Follow this troubleshooting guide if the webcam is streaming at a very low frame rate (about 0.1 FPS, or 1 frame per 10 seconds), and the webcam stream mode is shown as 0.1 FPS.
Follow this guide to find out the current webcam streaming mode.
Learn more about Premium Streaming vs Basic Streaming.
1. Is the webcam streaming disabled?
By default, the webcam streaming is enabled. Let's make sure it has not been disabled.
- Open OctoPrint settings page by clicking the wrench icon (🔧).
- Scroll down the navigation bar on the left side.
- Click the "Obico for OctoPrint" tab.
- Click the "Settings" button.
- Is "Disable webcam streaming" checked?
Uncheck the "Disable webcam streaming" if it's currently checked. Don't forget to click the "Save" button and restart OctoPrint afterward.
There are a few rare reasons why you may want to have the webcam streaming disabled.
2. Is OctoPrint running on a Raspberry Pi?
The webcam streaming requires Raspberry Pi to work. It is well tested on Raspberry Pi 4B, Raspberry Pi 3B/3B+, and Zero/Zero W.
If you are not running OctoPrint on a Raspberry Pi, the Obico plugin will only "stream" by taking one snapshot from the webcam every 10 seconds.
If you have installed docker on the Raspberry Pi, and are running OctoPrint inside the docker containers, you won't get the Premium Streaming either.
The reason why Raspberry Pi is required for the webcam streaming is because it has a special hardware accelerator required to encode H.264 video efficiently.
3. Try "always stream in compatibility mode"
In most cases, the webcam streaming will automatically switch between the compatibility mode the advanced mode. But there is a slight possibility it will get stuck in the "wrong" mode and hence fail.
Try to set the compatibility mode set to "always" to see if it'll get it out of the "Basic" streaming mode. You need to restart the Raspberry Pi after the switch.
Learn more about advanced mode and compatibility mode.
4. Did you use the official OctoPi image to flash the SD card?
The webcam streaming may not work if you flashed your Pi with:
- a Raspbian image and custom-installed OctoPrint;
- an OctoPi version that is older than 0.15.0;
- an OctoPi release candidate (RC) version;
- or an OctoPi pre-release version.
If that's the case, grab a spare SD card, flash it with latest official OctoPi image. Set up Obico on the new OctoPrint to see if the webcam streaming will work now.